You can either pre-register or register at your polling location on Election Day.
Eligibility of Voters
A person is eligible to vote, if at the time of the election he/she is:
- A United States citizen.
- At least 18 years of age.
- A Minnesota resident for at least 20 days on election day.
- Properly registered.
How to Pre-Register
At least 20 days before election day, you must do one of the following:
- Complete a Minnesota Voter Registration Application (PDF).
- Register to vote at the Minnesota Secretary of State's website.
How to Register on Election Day
You can register at your polling location on Election Day. If you already registered to vote, you do not need to register again unless you changed your name, moved to a different address or have not voted within the last four years.
To register on Election Day, you must have been a Minnesota resident for at least 20 days and show proof of residence within the precinct. To prove you live in the precinct, bring either of the following showing your current name and address:
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license or learner’s permit (or a receipt with address)
- Valid Minnesota identification card (or receipt with address)
- Tribal ID card with name, current address, signature, and picture issued by the tribal government of a tribe recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Does your identification card list a previous address? Voters must show both one photo ID and one document. The ID must contain the voter’s name and photo, and can be expired. The document must have the voter’s current name and address in the precinct – and can be shown electronically or on paper.
Approved photo IDs (choose one)
- Driver’s license, state ID card or learner’s permit issued by any state
- U.S. passport
- U.S. military ID card
- Tribal ID card with name, signature and photo of the voter
- Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card
- Minnesota high school ID card
Approved Documents (choose one)
- Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
- Current student fee statement
- Bill, account or start of service document due or dated within 30 days of election for:
- Phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.)
- TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
- Internet services
- Solid waste or sewer services
- Electric, gas or water
- Banking or credit card
- Rent or mortgage payments
Other methods to register on Election Day include:
- Notice of late registration letter mailed by Hennepin County
- A registered voter in your precinct may also come to the poll with you to vouch for your residency
- Valid registration in the same precinct if you changed your name or moved within the same precinct, no documentation is needed
- If you’re a member of a residential facility, a staff person can vouch for your residency with a signed oath